Tuesday, July 11, 2017

OTTOMANIA -- 2

ORIENTAL RUGS GALLERY



So I meet Azia Sengul, owner of Ottomania Oriental Rug Gallery and the only other person I met from Ironton (the first being Detroit City Country music legend Bobby Bare.)

So I climb the stair to the terrace, where I can see another ancient old building, which supplied eggs to the Sultans, burned out.

I drank tea.

We sat down and talked about blue collar Ohio -- from the River to Lake Erie -- for nearly an hour.

Of course, I was shown many carpets.

My wife uses a wheelchair and carpets would bunch up and trip her, I say.

A small carpet is a work of art and can be framed, I'm told.

More tea, snacks and great conversation with Mr. Sengul, who played on the state championship football team.

I kept his card.

Promised I would write about the rug gallery.

It's wonderful. You could get rug for $1k, or like a rich lady visiting from California, drop $100K on them.

I was honest up front and kept true to my word.

I would use their terrace for photography, drink their excellent Turkish tea and eat their snacks while talking with my new friend Aziz.

I cannot find a website for the shop.

Ottomania is in Sultanahmet Mahalessi at Tuvakhane Sokak No. 17.

One of the relatives has an email of:  varolmetin@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment