Saturday, October 23, 2021

THOUGHTS ON TURNING 57

SIX DECADES ON EARTH AND STILL STANDING

I  turned 57 on Oct. 22nd. In my 40 years as a writer, I have interviewed the famous, the infamous, the mega wealthy and those headed to prison.

My life as a journalist, marketer, storyteller and advocate has taken me to places I never thought a kid from a working-class family – the first to go to college – would ever go.

Certainly, my greatest accomplishment has been being a companion to my Heidi for 35 years.



When it comes to professional achievements, I have a Pulitzer nomination and several diverse awards on my walls. I have reinvented myself from a sportswriter to urban affairs journalist, then to a public policy chief, business development director, marketing manager, communications leader, storyteller and advocate.

One of my favorite story sources, who became a friend and mentor in Ohio, had an “I love me” room filled with honors, accolades and scrapbooks from his rewarding life. Perhaps like me, he sometimes doubted his ability or shrugged off praise while taking the slightest shortcoming to heart. Maybe that’s why Saul crafted his I love me room in his cozy abode in greater Columbus.



I recently submitted an extended bio for a speaking engagement. After publishing about 7,000 bylined stories during the past 40 years, it felt odd to write about myself in the third person. Despite the awkwardness, I did feel fairly good about myself (always a challenge in these go-go-go, dog eat dog times), so I will share some of it:

His 40-year career, the past 21 in greater Miami, has been marked by dozens of national stories on the planning profession in diverse publications plus more than a decade of daily Blog, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn posts on urban design.

When Wright came to Florida, he already had been a Pulitzer-nominated, award-winning journalist who covered the urban affairs, smart growth and planning beat at the Columbus Dispatch newspaper. His work earned special recognition from the City of Columbus Planning Department for expert, in-depth coverage of planning in the growing city.

While working as the first full-time urban affairs reporter at the Dispatch, Wright covered not only planning, zoning and development issues, but also focused on land use’s impact on equity, inclusion, diversity and accessibility. His marquee story was a first of its kind special section chronicling a year spent with a photographer in the city’s oldest, poorest, most-neglected neighborhood – Franklinton, which was under gentrification pressure due to an Army Corps flood wall that would usher in development.


In Miami, he has worked with leading urban designers, town planners, architects, engineers, landscape architects, sustainability experts and similar leading firms that create a better built environment. He was put his expertise in Universal Design, Inclusive Mobility and access for People with Disabilities into every winning project.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment