Friday, March 16, 2012

REQUESTING JOB ACCOMMODATIONS -- PART 5


THE FINE ART OF REQUESTING 
JOB ACCOMMODATIONS

Not only was the commode too low for my transfer needs, but I would often spend between five and 20 minutes inside waiting for someone else to enter and assist me with the door so I could leave.

Even up to my last day at the job, using the restroom was still a monumental challenge.

Fortunately, getting the necessary accommodations for my next job went as close to perfect as possible.

Why the difference?

Though a more receptive supervisor helped, a big part of it was my new and improved approach.

I’d learned the hard way that delaying a request for accommodations then tendering one without sufficient specifics and a pleasant but firm air of self-assurance was not the way to go.

ARTICLE CONTINUES TOMORROW -- MARCH 17

EDITOR'S NOTE: 
This was written by our expert before she came to the Sunshine State. All negative anecdotes and complaints about bosses are based on incidents in Ohio, not Miami.


No comments:

Post a Comment