Wednesday, March 14, 2012

REQUESTING JOB ACCOMMODATIONS -- PART 3


THE FINE ART OF REQUESTING 
JOB ACCOMMODATIONS


One boss was obviously uncomfortable with my request for accommodations, which principally concerned the physical facilities in my office building.

Heavy doors that couldn’t be opened without assistance, too-high elevator buttons and virtually no access features in the restroom meant my work day was laden with obstacles.

Straining to get around fatigued me and having to constantly ask for extra help was demeaning and frustrating.

I foolishly tolerated it for months out of fear of rocking the boat.

I also failed to advocate for myself because of that little voice inside my head that told me to be grateful to have a job at all.

ARTICLE CONTINUES TOMORROW -- MARCH 15

EDITOR'S NOTE: 
This was written by our expert before she came to the Sunshine State. All negative anecdotes and complaints about bosses are based on incidents in Ohio, not Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment