Saturday, April 2, 2022

GABRIEL BALDERAS SAXAPHONE

THE BEST JAZZMAN IN MEXICO CITY

Gabriel Balderas is not famous – yet – but I consider him the premier jazz player in Mexico City.

And that’s no small statement, as there are easily a half dozen or more jazz venues in the cultural capital of the Americas.

I lucked out when I walked into Parker and Lenox – in the Roma neighborhood – and heard Gabriel on the sax.

At the end of the show, I started out in my horrible Spanish and we quickly switched to his English to talk about jazz greats, Mexico City and music.

A few nights later, I was at Jazzatlan Capital, also in the hip Roma neighborhood, and caught Gabriel sitting in with the night’s featured act.

Seeing me twice in one week, he was so kind that he gave me a CD of his fabulous Voices From The Border.

You can check him out at many different streaming services, including Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/58qSHv8M0ELKIDSObDqEFH?si=nX3om57RS3-AKvy6VeXDOw&utm_source=copy-link&fbclid=IwAR2T6GfpMUrYh9PtCPZFno_gtz6fgbNuMfBe3dSOoAZa2_98A-Z1O3GsN_0&nd=1




No comments:

Post a Comment