Saturday, October 22, 2022

I TURNED 58 YESTERDAY

I HOPE I HAVE MADE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

The year ahead will be one of difficult and challenging transition.

Details about major changes will be shared in early 2023.

I always try to write a blog post tied to my birthday, something different than the other 364 posts of the year.

I have long contemplated writing my own obituary.

I have pre-written obits of well-known people when I was a journalist.

It’s common practice to have them at the ready with a significant person is very old or ill.

But I keep thinking if I post it, maybe someone will think I’ve expired, am about to or am in the mood to expedite the journey to the other side.

Not the case on all counts.

So how to do a bit of an I love me post without crafting my own obituary in paragraph structure.

Well, how about bullet points.

To date, 40 years living as an adult, I have: 

1.     Completed projects in some of the greatest cities of the world

2.     Traveled – solo and together – to even more of the best cities on earth

3.     Written a one-of-kind special section on one of Columbus, Ohio’s poorest hardscrabble neighborhoods

4.     Won major awards for my journalism

5.     Been my editor’s nominee for the Pulitzer Prize

6.     Had my work published in more than 100 newspapers and magazines

7.     Posted daily to a blog for nearly a decade

8.     Produced cover stories on diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility

9.     Produced center-spread major feature articles on urban design, planning, architecture, engineering, mobility, sustainability, housing and growth

10. Ghost written trade journal article and op-ed pieces for clients

11. Spoken in the grand ballroom at the American Planning Association national conference

12. Given a key lecture in Paris at the International Making Cities Livable global gathering

13. Spoken about Universal Design in planning at the APA Florida statewide conference

14. Written a winning proposal for presentation at the American Institute of Architects national conference

15. Written an award submission that won the APA’s highest nationwide honor for a client

16. Been on planning teams recognized with APA statewide and regional awards

17. Led the communications for an urban design studio that more than doubled in size during my tenure

18. Led marketing for a globally honored international architecture firm

19. Led business development for a legacy engineering firm that expanded its walkability and multimodal practice

20. Served as the senior policy advisor to the chair of the Miami City Commission – within three years of moving from Ohio

21. Wrote the legislation for affordable homeownership in Little Havana

22. Contributed to a project that created a pedestrian walkway connecting Miami’s greats historic main streets – Calle Ocho and Coral Way

23. Served as point person for the elected official who cast the deciding vote to adopt Miami 21, the first citywide form-based code in America

24. Created a groundbreaking Universal Design course for the undergraduate and graduate levels

25. Taught the revolutionary Universal Design course at a top 10 school of architecture

26. Contributed writing and research to the largest trade association in America for two decades

27. Contributed content to the nation’s largest non-profit for people with spinal cord injuries for 20-plus years

28. Advised world leaders on how to improve housing, transit, workplaces, parks, services and daily living for people with disabilities

29. Advised corporations on diversity, equity and inclusion – through the lens of disability advocacy

That’s 29, half of 58.

I’d like to think there are 29 more great accomplishments, but there’s no need to keep writing.

I thank those who read this essay to completion.



No comments:

Post a Comment