Thursday, April 27, 2023

UNITED SPINAL’S RESOURCE CENTER

TACKLES TOUGH QUESTIONS

At Shepherd Center, respiratory therapists went to work trying to wean Chris Dunn off the ventilator and strengthen his voice, while physical and occupational therapists attempted to undo the damage a year of lying in the ICU had done.

The team helped Chris build up the lung capacity to only need the vent at night. He was able to go fishing.

After four months, Chris returned to Maine.

He continues to fight the system to receive maximum benefits, while his mother serves as his primary caregiver.

“I don’t know that I would have been able to make things happen without United Spinal Association,” Carol says.

“I was getting tired.

I wasn’t going to give up, but they came in and propped me up and gave me some courage and some encouragement to keep going.

They pointed me in some right directions and stood behind me, and that’s all I needed to cross that finish line.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment