Saturday, January 13, 2024

TO FUND MY DISABILITY INCLUSION RESEARCH IN JAPAN

I HAVE GREATED A GO FUND ME ACCOUNT

I've spent more than three decades as an advocate for a better built environment for people with disabilities.

For several years, I have done more than $10,000 worth of pro bono work in the disability community.

I have an opportunity to join the family of the late Mark Bookman + Emmy-winning documentary maker Ron Small for a series of events previewing "Mark -- A Call to Action" in Tokyo.

The film portrays Mark's work as a global disability inclusion leader, based in Tokyo.

Bound for PBS, it also is a call to action for all architects, planners, engineers and more -- to create cities and places where all people with disabilities can access all housing, workplaces, schools, parks, arts, shopping, transit and more.

I am budgeting $4,000 for roundtrip airfare (economy, smallest seat), hotel (pod style, lowest cost), transportation (public transit where possible) and meals (low cost street food).

gofund.me/93c0532c


My amount of pro bono work means that for the first time in my life, I am seeking support to help cover the expense of my travel for research.

In addition to the premieres, I will be meeting with key leaders in the disability community in Japan.

Many feel Japan's commitment to Universal Design is creating inclusion for people with disabilities that rivals that opened by the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act.

My photography of innovative design and lifelong contacts made during my 10-day visit will inform dozens of articles and hundreds of social media posts.

gofund.me/93c0532c


I have written stories about best urban design practices to accommodate wheelchair users.

I have worked as a town planner to create better sidewalks, parks, transit and housing for people with disabilities.

I created a groundbreaking course on Universal Design at the highly rated University of Miami School of Architecture.

I make dozens of social media posts each day of the year -- sharing ideas for inclusion and equity in civic spaces.

Your support will allow me to continue to be a leader in planning and design of communities that are accessible to all.

gofund.me/93c0532c





No comments:

Post a Comment