Wednesday, December 3, 2014

AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH (ABOUT LIFE WITH A DISABILITY)

Add caption

EARTHBOUND TOMBOY

BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT

Those without disabilities sometimes think that folks with disabilities go through life bemoaning their limitations. That we sit sad-eyed, looking out the window, hoping for something that will “make us whole.” That we pray daily for the miracle that will come along and mend our broken bodies.

 

There’s also the disability myth that we’re fixated on being able to live “normal” lives. If only we could move without a wheelchair or cane. If only we could be like them.

 

While I wouldn’t turn down the ability to climb a flight of stairs, my inability to do it doesn’t cross my mind that often. I don’t stare each day at folks walking by me and shed tears because I can’t go through life in an upright position.

 

No, far from it. But what does annoy me on a regular basis is inconvenience. I’m talking about the hassle I encounter not because of my body but because of the environment around me. Things that could be changed if our culture stopped devaluing and marginalizing people with disabilities.

 

For example, if you don’t have a disability and get into a fender bender, it’s not fun. But it simply means you rent a car to drive while your vehicle is being repaired. But if my van is in the shop, there’s no place I can go to rent a comparable one with a lift. Wheelchair-accessible taxis are very hard to come by. To get to work, I would have to use paratransit or the bus. This means an added layer of planning ahead, building in trip time and modifying my regular schedule. And until I get my van back, I probably would avoid extra trips for such unnecessary things as grocery shopping or dining out.

 

You’ve probably been web surfing at least once and come upon a website for a hip boutique hotel or quaint B&B. It may impress you so much that you begin planning a vacation around it that very day. Book airfare online and your dream trip materializes right away.

 

My husband and I love to travel, and have had our own share of dream trips. But planning takes months. The vast majority – upwards of 95 percent – of hotels, inns and villas we find online are out of the question for a wheelchair user. Even the ones that are suitable require trading numerous emails and calls back and forth to confirm the accessible room with a roll-in shower. Now imagine the time it takes to also confirm access to restaurants, shops, theaters, etc. and nailing down accessible transportation to get there.

 

If, as a culture, we demanded that people with disabilities have the same opportunities as everyone else, then we could craft a world that included accessible rental vans and taxis. A built environment in which all structures were open to all people. A world that automatically includes everyone.

 

I don’t sit around bemoaning my “brokenness” because I’m not broken. Rather, I grow irritable with added layers of hassle and inconvenience at every turn. And the icing on this reeking heap of inconvenience is that it’s unnecessary and preventable.
 
http://earthboundtomboy.blogspot.com/2014/12/an-inconvenient-truth-about-life-with.html

No comments:

Post a Comment