Wednesday, May 18, 2022

NATALIE BARNHARD: UNITED SPINAL’S 2021 FINN BULLERS ADVOCATE OF THE YEAR

 REALIZING A DREAM FOR IMPROVED REHAB ACCESS

“I was at work when a 600-pound weight machine toppled over on top of me, injuring my spine at C-5/C-6. I was 24 at the time, she said. I remember in rehab crying in bed and telling my mother that ‘I was given a gift to help people heal using my hands. Now I’m paralyzed and I can’t physically help people in any way. So, what am I going to do now?’ My mother said `Natalie, you can’t change what happened, but you can change what you do going forward by trusting God’ And I found a purpose.”

Barnhard quickly learned that she could still assist countless people. She started Wheels with Wings, a nonprofit for other people with SCI/D. It awards quality of life grants for wheelchairs, sports equipment, rehab, modifications to homes, accessible vehicles and other items often not covered fully or at all by insurance plans as well as focusing on advocacy and resources for those newly injured.

“I saw the need for funding wheelchairs, vehicles, shower chairs. How could anyone declare a shower chair an unnecessary item?,” Barnhard added. “No medical necessity to get clean? It’s appalling!

No comments:

Post a Comment