Friday, November 23, 2018

WE PAUSE TO GIVE THANKS FOR

OUR FELINE FRIENDS


In early fall 2013, I was on FMLA leave from a miserable job – gladly taking unpaid leave to care for Heidi, my companion of one third of a century.

She was having a hip revision and would be recovering for up to two weeks in a great hospital’s rehab ward after her daylong, brutal procedure.

I would sleep at our house and I would run home to do chores and all – allowing Heidi to rest and get crucial physical therapy.

One day, I was taking a medical device out of a ton of shipping cardboard.

A cat jumped on it and sprawled out.

She had been darting around on and under the wheelchair ramp that leads to our century old house.

We called her the mottled kitty.

Now, in the sun, I could see a beautiful Siamese cat.

She wanted to be petted.

I took some pictures and shared them with Heidi during my long visit.

She said our mottled kitty was at least 75% apple head seal point Siamese.

Not long after Heidi came home, we were out enjoying the break in the weather and doing some yard work.

The Siamese cat came over and let me pet her.

Then she took some milk.

And some kibbles – as we had bought a small bag of cat snacks.

Soon, she was visiting us inside the house for 30, 60, 90 minute periods.

(part 3 tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment