Tuesday, July 27, 2010

CASA COQUINA BED AND BREAKFAST Titusville FLA


Funky, possibly haunted, definitely cluttered and just about
the perfect place you'll ever stay for under $100


If you want Double Tree-like sameness, you will not enjoy Casa Coquina. If you hate clutter or need a wheelchair-accessible room, you will wind up at a low end chain hotel.

But if you like funky stuff, if you appreciate and atmosphere of antiques/Fred Sanford's junkyard, you will love the place.

I was going through some anxious times -- aren't we all in this economy? -- and needed a couple days to sort things out.

What could be more perfect than a one of a kind B&B with a fabulous and laid back innkeeper?

I arrived early from Miami and the innkeeper let me check in very early -- even though my room was occupied the night before and I think she's a one woman show for cooking, cleaning, etc.

The room was very quiet. I slept like a baby -- at nap time and overnight.
The breakfast was decent....nothing spectacular, but all the coffee, juice, pancakes, ham, muffin, eggs usuals were there for free the next morning.

The entire price, with tax, was less than $90. The parking is free, use of internet is free -- even with a handsome tip to the innkeeper, I got out for under $100.

Where else can you get a large bedroom, large sitting room, perfectly functional full bathroom, all a stone's throw from the Indian River and Kennedy Space Center -- for less than $100?

Titusville is just the place to sort out things, because it is very quiet.
The area around the inn is peaceful & the large Mexican-Cuban restaurant next door is quiet even at night when the booze flows.

There's a gas station very nearby for fueling up and stock up on water, snacks, etc.
Titusville's downtown is tiny and quiet. It's a good place to rest and eat BBQ and catfish.

I didn't go to the fairly expensive space center, but I did love the nature preserve around it ($3 to enter by car & make sure a shuttle launch isn't pending, as they shut off access to the natural area during and just before launches.)

There's a pristine beach, hammocks, a wildlife loop drive, inlets, mangroves -- all the stuff between barrier islands and mainland that used to protect Florida from hurricanes before development took over.

As for Casa Coquina, I did get the rundown at check-in that all million pieces of antiques were for sale, but I was never pressured.

The guests are quiet and well-behaved.
The deck is spectacular place to see the sun rising from the Atlantic Ocean just to the east.

I had a blast, but then I've loved funky little inns throughout North, Central and South America.

I suppose if I expected everything to be a bland Holiday Inn, maybe I'd not give Casa such high marks.

But I love funky, so this place is on my must list for places to revisit in the Sunshine State.

www.casacoquina.com
4010 Coquina Avenue
Titusville, FL 32780-6614
(321) 268-4653

No comments:

Post a Comment