Thursday, October 6, 2011

DISABLED REALTORS -- part 2

Overcoming the Odds and Getting the Job Done

“I described colors for them. I tried to describe the color blue by describing the ocean.
I ran into a solid block wall,” he said.
“You cannot describe colors to one who has never seen them.”

This experience changed his attitude about his blindness and made him “thankful to God” for the things he did have.

“I got peace inside. I began to think maybe things aren’t so bad,” said Diaz.

He began working at a local hospital developing x-ray film. He married and started a family. As time went on, though, he wanted a better economic situation for himself and his family.

“I called a local real estate school and was told they could not accommodate me. They were not set up to train a blind person,” he recalled.

Diaz wouldn’t give up, and got the home study course materials, which he had recorded onto audio tape. He studied from the audio tapes, but failed the test on the first try.

“I asked myself: ‘Do you want to be where you are?’ The answer was ‘no.’”

Diaz studied even harder and passed the real estate exam on the second attempt.

In January 1970, Diaz opened his own office. He worked out of his house until 1983, when he bought his own office building.

No comments:

Post a Comment