Monday, May 4, 2015

WHY MAY 4th MATTERS: "FOUR DEAD IN O-HI-O"

EARTHBOUND TOMBOY ON KENT STATE TRAGEDY




BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT

It was 13 seconds that changed so many things. The way Americans viewed the Vietnam War. The reputation of a university. The lives of four families who would never be the same.

May 4, 2015 marks the 45th anniversary of the Kent State shootings. When National Guardsmen -- called in to quell Vietnam War protesters -- shot their weapons in the air for 13 seconds, killing four students, and wounding nine others.

Americans were shocked and angered. Every parent of a college student froze in fear.

Artists, writers and musicians created works inspired by the tragedy. The Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young song, “Ohio”, still gives me chills.

I feel compelled to reflect on this milestone, to write about it because I went to Kent State University.

To be precise: I am a proud Kent State graduate.

I enrolled 12 years after the shootings, after the Vietnam War ended, when the go-go 1980s Reagan Era was picking up steam. When Levis bell bottoms had given way to designer straight-leg jeans. When hair got big instead of long and stringy. When classic rock faded and New Wave ruled.

So why does May 4th matter to me?

Because Kent State matters to me. I got an outstanding education there. Just as importantly, Kent is where I learned to stop being apologetic and ashamed of my disability.

http://earthboundtomboy.blogspot.com/2015/04/why-may-4th-matters-four-dead-in-o-hi-o.html


No comments:

Post a Comment