Monday, June 13, 2016

THOUGHTS ON ORLANDO TRAGEDY

LOVE, NOT HATE, HEALS WOUNDS
 
Orlando is an unthinkable tragedy.
 
I do not have words to express the pain I feel for the loss of life and traumatizing injuries to the LGBT community that I respect and embrace.
 
But please, let's not demonize all Muslims because of Orlando.
 
Timothy McVeigh killed 168 and injured more than 600, but we don't expel all white male military vets because one was a monster.
 
There will always be evil doers -- you can find them hiding behind every religion, race and belief system.
 
Their actions are not symbolic of the everyday person who shares their birth region or core beliefs -- that monsters so often pervert to justify their violence.
 
The people I've known who practice the Muslim faith are some of the most kind, welcoming, accommodating human beings I've ever had the pleasure of sharing time with.
 
This includes a Jordanian family in Ohio that has adopted my 79-year-old mom as their own.
 
With me being busy with work and caregiving 1200 miles away in Miami, my mom would not have a good quality of life without the unconditional neighborly love of the upstairs neighbors at my mom's apartment.
 
 They are hosting, loving, caring people who are emblematic of real Muslim and Arabic values.
 
Please let's not let our anger overtake our ability to differentiate between extremists who create hell on earth and the overwhelming majority of people who may practice a faith different than our own -- but are giving, loving, valuable human beings.
 
Diversity. America needs to appreciate it and embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment