Thursday, March 23, 2017

MIAMI MUST BE MADE SAFER FOR PEDESTRIANS, BICYCLISTS AND WHEELCHAIR USERS



DANGEROUS DRIVING MUST BE DEALT WITH IN DRACONIAN TERMS

This week, I happened upon gruesome scene.

A cyclist was in the middle of Miami's SW 22 Avenue at SW 15 Street, just a few blocks from my home.

I didn't see what happened. For all I know, maybe the guy on the bicycle pulled a bone head move and caused it.

To their credit and in rare form in bad driver Miami, the driver of the small SUV involved in the crash stayed on the scene.

The cyclist was holding his head, then passed out. I hope he did not perish.

I saw this while frantically moving my car in place to block traffic, as morning commuters speed up and steer around one slowed lane -- this would have spelled death for the cyclist, sprawled between both southbound lanes, instantly.

When the medics arrived, I moved along to give them room and because I had no value as a witness -- because I happened on the scene maybe minute after it happened, but too late to have a clue as to who was at fault.

I will say that pedestrian/bike safety is in a dreadful state in Miami in general and Shenandoah (my historic neighborhood) in specific.

My wife is a wheelchair user and does not dare cross any of the major avenues in our area -- 17th, 22nd, 27th -- even with the light. In the name of the car is king, these right-sized roads were long-ago doubled in width and streamlined into de facto highways.

Yards of fine homes were eaten up to the edge of doorsteps, sidewalks were made as tiny as possible and safe pedestrian movement was sacrificed in the name of moving more cars, faster.

My bride of 30 years could very easily use rail transit into downtown, but that would mean crossing 27th avenue to catch a southbound bus to the Metrorail at 27th avenue and Dixie Highway. Crossing 27th at any hour on foot/on wheels is a death wish. 

Even being on the sidewalk is at peril, as I've seen many drivers go up on the sidewalk, even around buses, to keep driving instead of being safe, patient and waiting their turn in their lane.

I work in Coconut Grove, in easy walking distance to that same Metrorail station at 27th and Dixie Highway. I would love to cut down on emissions, get some exercise walking to station and support mass transit by taking Metrorail to downtown, the airport and meetings at points south and north of the core city.

But crossing the Dixie Highway is a risk of life and limb. And I don't think the answer is a series of pedestrian bridges (where the elevators very often are broken down -- giving wheelchair users zero opportunity to use them). 

The answer is our elected and appointed leaders working swiftly to redesign roads to favor pedestrians. They also need to increase fines and the issuing of them for bad driving. 

Let's face it, when someone goes double the speed limit and makes a left turn from the right lane...and kills somebody...that is not an accident. It is a high risk behavior that results in a predictably dire result. 

It is no different than taking a shotgun and randomly firing out your window. Sooner than later, you are going to end a life or severely injure someone.

Why irresponsible, downright evil driving is looked at as some kind of mishap or innocent accident is beyond me. 

It is an intentional act to endanger all in its path -- just like firing a high powered gun into the street.


Until we see it that way, we all will continue to be dependent on our cars for mobility...while we bury children, the elderly and folks in the prime of their lives -- wiped out by selfish, dangerous drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment