Sunday, September 10, 2017

GUESS BY NOW, WE'LL KNOW IRMA'S RESULTS ON LITTLE HAVANA

WRITING THIS FRIDAY SEPT. 8 AT BED TIME


If Hurricane Irma got us, maybe we'll live on in some viral click bait post about the guy who posted a Dia de los Muertos picture of himself, his wife and their baby (that would be our Siamese HoneyBear) the day before the Category 5 storm took their lives.

In all likelihood, we'll still be kicking -- but maybe so miserable from damage to house, cars...not to mention weeks without power...that we'll wish we were 6 feet under.

And if Irma skirts us, Jose...or the next named storm...or the next one will eventually crush Miami.

I've never feared death.

Pain, suffering -- yes.

The big sleep -- no.

Doesn't mean I'm suicidal -- 180 degrees from it.

Just a pragmatic Midwesterner who never thought that just if the male life expectancy for your generation was around 77 or so -- that you'd have any guarantee of making it till then.

I've I check out at 52, it's been a helluva ride.

Great first house and perfect neighbors in Upper Arlington.

Outstanding job of 13 years as a reporter at the Columbus Dispatch.

15+ years in our restored 1925 house, where we're sheltering in place for the coming killer storm.

A great friend and boss in Miami Commissioner Joe Sanchez, not to mention his staff -- folks that still are family to me.

My pal Eric Penfield, who I met at Marlin when I reinvented myself as a marketer.

Juan Mullerat, Megan McLaughlin and the whole family at PlusUrbia. I love every one of you.

My pets, including Miss Honeybear the Siamese -- who nervously peed about a gallon on daddy's bed today, but is not in trouble at all because she's his baby.

Most of all, my partner Heidi -- wife of nearly 30 years, soulmate for eternity.

I no doubt have left out 100s of people who are very dear to me, but I have to sign off now and bag up all the electronics to try to protect them from the storm.

Thanks to all -- it's been a passionate, adventurous life.  Not ready to punch my ticket anytime soon, but if Mother Nature rolls snake eyes for me -- I really haven't a complaint in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment