Friday, October 26, 2018

MEET AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR

HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT  (part 2)


by David-Elijah Nahmod


In “Life with Lexie,” her Firsts contribution, Johnson-Wright recalls her friendship with Lexie, her college caregiver. 

She also recalls the abuse she withstood at the hands of her own mother, who was unable to deal with the harsh realities of Johnson-Wright’s disability. 

Johnson-Wright now speaks to us about how this abuse affected her rheumatoid arthritis.

“As is true of many other medical conditions, stress can exacerbate rheumatoid arthritis, making one prone to flairs,” she said. “The more the disease acts up, the faster permanent joint damage occurs. 

And if you have a condition with chronic pain, anxiety makes the physical sensations of the pain worse. I didn’t learn that until I was in my 30s. No one bothered to tell me that when I was a kid.”

http://olebbooks.com/firsts-coming-of-age-stories-by-people-with-disabilities/

No comments:

Post a Comment