Saturday, August 5, 2023

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR THE OPENING OF MY PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBIT – SAVE MY LITTLE HAVANA

 ART DECO WELCOME CENTER MIAMI BEACH                                         OCEAN DRIVE AT 10TH STREET   6 P.M. TO 8 P.M. THURSDAY AUGUST 24 


When I first visited Miami’s Little Havana as an Ohioan escaping winter in the late 1990s, I had no idea it would make such an impact on my life.

I bought a now 100-plus-year-old classic home in the Shenandoah section of Little Havana. It’s been my home on historic Bryan Park for more than 20 years.

I worked nearly a decade for the City Commissioner who represented the diverse area. I reviewed legislation that granted money to preserve a bungalow there.

I have spent endless days documenting the predominantly Mediterranean and Art Deco apartment buildings plus the Spanish-influenced grand homes and Belvedere Bungalows.

I fear that Miami’s relentless growth is pushing Brickell west of I-95. I’ve already seen countless quaint, affordable buildings razed and replaced with ugly, taller, not very affordable monoliths.

You cannot stop progress, but you can protect history and authenticity. This exhibit is in Miami Beach, which has done a world-renowned exemplary job of balancing growth with protecting its famous, incomparable Art Deco District.

I hope this photo exhibition raises awareness of the cultural, architectural and human treasure that is Little Havana.

I wish to inspire historic preservation and adaptive reuse of beautiful early 20th century buildings.

I do not believe there is political will to create a protected zone like Miami Beach has done for its Art Deco treasures.

I can only pray that a combination of nonprofits and soulful developers, who see value in authenticity, will ensure that the hundreds of treasured buildings will live on well after I have expired. – Steve Wright, Summer 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment