Wednesday, September 6, 2023

"SAVE MY LITTLE HAVANA" HONORS HISTORIC NEIGHBORHOOD'S RICH ARCHITECTURAL LEGACY

ON DISPLAY AT THE ART DECO MUSEUM, STEVE WRIGHT'S PHOTOS SHOWCASE LITTLE HAVANA'S BEAUTY AND WONDER HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT


Writer and photographer Steve Wright's enthusiasm for preserving Little Havana's historic buildings was cemented while rehabbing his own 1922 Spanish mission-style home with its wall of huge bay windows in Shenandoah, a particularly storied area of Little Havana stretching from Calle Ocho to Coral Way between Southwest 12th and 27th Avenues.

Wright says though the neighborhood doesn't remind him much of his native Ohio, it instantly felt like home.

"I'm five blocks south of Calle Ocho.

I'm almost walking distance from the edge of downtown Coral Gables and biking distance from Coconut Grove and Brickell.

When I moved here, I just thought, What a great base of operations in an area with such character," Wright recalls.

"One of my neighbors is a big Santería practitioner, so that was my zero-to-60 Midwestern-boy introduction into Miami."



No comments:

Post a Comment