Sunday, December 21, 2014

A TRIBUTE TO KEN WRIGHT 1935-2014 PART 9



MY DAD TAUGHT ME...TO NOT GET OBSESSED WITH SPORTS

Though I would have swapped my soul to become the starting 3rd baseman for the Cleveland Indians, anybody saw me on the little league diamond knew I'm I was going to make it to the locker room, it would be as a sportswriter, not as an athlete. 

Learning how do adapt from jock wannabe to journalist allowed me to cover pro sports. Eventually, as policy advisor to the Chairman of the Miami City Commission, I helped negotiate a stadium deal with Major League Baseball to keep the Marlins in Miami.

(my clause in the contact, requiring that the Florida club renounce its 97 World Series title to the rightful champion Tribe was deleted by the baseball commissioner!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment