Saturday, July 2, 2016

RIP JOHN F. WOLFE

DISPATCH PUBLISHER OF FOUR DECADES WAS VERY GOOD TO MY FAMILY DURING MY DECADE AND A HALF WORKING FOR THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH NEWSPAPER


Mr. Wolfe -- I never quite grew old and secure enough to ever call him by his first name -- was an unassuming titan of Columbus, OH.

Many times, a more politically-connected, more brown-nosing reporter tried to edge me out of lead coverage of a story that happened on my beat.

Mr. Wolfe always had my back, trusting me -- the blue collar, quiet, lunch pail writer -- to handle the big scoop.

When we traveled the country looking at hockey arenas -- when Columbus had been awarded an NHL franchise -- Mr. Wolfe showed a keen sense of humor on the road and out of the confines of the suit and tie he wore in the newsroom.

When he met my wife at one of many free Dispatch family events, he learned of her disability and the pain she went through with rheumatoid arthritis.

Mr. Wolfe let me know from that day forward that I could take FMLA leave, comp time and any other amount of sick leave to be a good caregiver to my beloved spouse.

Here's a story, that quotes lots of family members and great leaders, in eulogy of Mr. Wolfe:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/06/30/john-wolfe-service.html

No comments:

Post a Comment