Tuesday, July 5, 2016

WHY I LOVE TO STAY IN FAMILY-OWNED HOTELS

THE TRUE MEANING OF PERSONAL SERVICE


This is a picture of the Hotel Niles in Istanbul.

It's in the old city, a less than 5 minute's walk from the Grand Bazaar.

It has a rooftop terrace with views of the Marmara Sea.

It is the darling of Frommers, Fodors, Trip Advisor and other world-leading publications and online guides.

It is easy to see why.

I recently booked my maiden voyage to Turkey.

Business will take me to Istanbul, but I don't want to stay in a chain business hotel.

After seeing the rave reviews, I reached out to the Hotel Niles.

I used the much-dreaded "info@" email.

I say this because when I ask a unique question via the "info@" email to property flagged by a giant chain, I probably get zero response about 25% of the time, an auto generated equally worthless blanket response about 25% and a far to vague, laundry list of bulletted FAQ-style answers in the remaining 50% of responses.

Hotel Niles is different.

In fewer than 24 hours, on a weekend, less than a week after a tragic and jolting incident at Ataturk International Airport, I got a detailed response from info@hotelniles.com

A Mr. Kemal Çelik addressed my specific concerns about my first full day falling on a national holiday and how that might impact public transit, bazaar and museum opening hours, etc.

This was not a standard "can I check in early" or "can you make sure some extra pillows are in the room" question.

And it received a signed, far above standard chain property response.

I look forward to making Hotel Niles my home away from home.

I hope my readers do the same.

We must reward family businesses that deliver outstanding personal service. 

http://www.hotelniles.com 

 (rooftop terrace at Hotel Niles, on the European side of Istanbul)

No comments:

Post a Comment