Thursday, May 9, 2019

ORHAN PAMUK’S ISTANBUL -- 24

NEW YORK TIMES WORDS/STEVE WRIGHT IMAGES
The tale was a historical romance set in 15th-century Anatolia, the vast hinterland east of Istanbul. 

His friends frantically typed sections of the story, and Mr. Pamuk raced to this post office and handed the manuscript to a woman behind the counter just hours before the deadline.

 “The next day I received a note from her, telling me, ‘You paid me too little,’ ” he said, gazing at the main, gazebo-like kiosk beneath the atrium’s soaring central dome, where the moment played out.

“But she’d understood that I was ambitious, submitting a literary work, and she paid the postage on her own.”

One month later he learned that he had won the contest. “So I love this place just because of that,” he said.


-Joshua Hammer

No comments:

Post a Comment