Thursday, November 23, 2017

WHAT I AM THANKFUL FOR

DIVERSITY...AND UNDERSTANDING THAT DISABILITY 
IS THE MOST NORMAL THING ON THE PLANET




This little girl was about the only one not in costume at the Escuela Primera Benito Juarez costume and altar contest in Oaxaca, Mexico.

I was walking by and she grabbed my arm to point out her dressed up siblings.

I took their fotos and introduced myself and asked If I could take hers.

She shook me off 3 times and said she's fea.  I said well I'm gordo, so we're a team. 

She relented and I took her foto. She clearly has some kind of syndrome that impacts her eyes and possibly gives her a learning disability.

She wanted to see her foto, so I showed it on the screen along with her family's shots that I took.

I stuck my hand out and said Esteban, mucho gusto.  And she thrust her hand out to shake mine and introduced herself as Yu.

I apologized for my poor Spanish and she said she didn't mind.  Then she hugged me with all her might.

Thank goodness the kids had to que for a parade.

Because I had to run to the corner of the decorated school yard and weep for joy.

Perhaps some see Yu as disabled, as different as not “normal.”


But to me, she is most soulful and beautiful creature on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment