Monday, March 5, 2018

HEALTH MONITOR GUIDE TO LIVING WITH RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS

FIND SERENITY!



By Heidi Johnson-Wright, attorney, adjunct faculty in architecture school, and RA veteran from Miami

Don’t neglect your emotional self.

“I had been dealing with RA for many years when I learned how chronic pain makes you more susceptible to anxiety and depression,” says Heidi. “And anxiety, in turn, intensifies your pain severity.”

She suggests asking yourself if you’re more depressed or anxious than you were before your RA diagnosis. “Since I realized, I’ve been in and out of talk therapy, which helps,” she says. “RA fatigue drains you, and the more you’re drained, the more you hurtle toward depression.” Try mindfulness meditation. “I put on headphones and listen to a meditation exercise as I’m going to bed,” says Heidi.

“I’ve been doing this for three years now and find it’s great for those nights I’m not feeling quite comfortable enough to fall asleep. It helps me focus on my breathing and distracts me from the discomfort.”

Make life easy on yourself. “Get past the idea that assistive devices are just for the elderly,” urges Heidi, who says that being able to function is important to her well-being. “I keep a reacher stick in every room and use them for everything.”

She also makes sure everything in her house is accessible. “Before I buy anything for my home, I do research online and find out the heights of shelves and where the knobs, buttons and doors are. I keep stuff on my level. In my fridge, I have all the items that only I consume in places I can reach.

And I put the cat’s food on a high level of her cat tower.” She uses remotes for her lamps and low-profile box springs to put her mattress at the right height. Heidi also relies on a grocery delivery service (ordering multiples of items when they’re on sale) and a home health aide twice a week to do light housework and help with personal care.







No comments:

Post a Comment