Sunday, April 19, 2020

A GREAT MENTOR, A GREAT MAN

REST IN PEACE HUMBERTO ALONSO

It was the first month on the job with Commissioner Joe Sanchez.

I was 35, but so new to Miami, I felt about 16.

There was a meeting with the Miami Roads neighborhood group and I walked into a buzz saw over historic designation.

I did my best to listen, but was so flustered, I was questioning my competency and career choice as a walked to my car outside the Simpson Park meeting place.

A person I didn't know from any of the others walked up, smiled and told me what a good job I'd done representing my boss and dealing with angry people while listening and being fair.

Of course it was Humberto. I think he was the chair or second in charge.

I'd run into him at City Hall when He was Still the South Florida Water Management District leader.

He always remembered that night and told me I had "done good."

H (and I call him that because that's how he always signed his private emails: dash-H) would weave in and out of my life for nearly two decades.

He met me on Coral Way for breakfast when I needed to re-invent myself when my boss was termed out of office. He mentored, advised and reinforced.

H even took a chance on a small firm I was marketing and gave them a big boost to work as a sub with Atkins on the portfolio-building Smart Plan project.

It seems like he would always cross paths with me when I was challenged by a new project, pursuing a new opportunity or just being a fellow core of Miami (me next door in Shenandoah to his Roads) neighbor.

I could fill 10 screens and not be halfway into sharing all the times when H taught me something, introduced me to someone who could help me, served as a sounding board -- in person and over the phone -- for some big idea that I had.

Always the smile, always the laugh.

Always a story about the old times in Miami, always a gentle, father-figure friend -- who also was the consummate pro in every job he ever held.

All my love to your family and rest in peace, H.

One part of me is weeping, but the other one cannot stop smiling for all the happy memories of a bright and kind man who lived life well.

No comments:

Post a Comment