Tuesday, March 13, 2012

REQUESTING JOB ACCOMMODATIONS -- PART 2


THE FINE ART OF REQUESTING 
JOB ACCOMMODATIONS


Even though the request is for a reasonable accommodation to help me do my job better – something granted by federal law to qualified individuals with disabilities – it’s not always easy to ask.

Who wants to come off demanding or whiny, or be perceived as “one of those needy wheelchair people” who can’t do a job without special treatment?

How will a supervisor react?

Will he or she be supportive and understanding, deny the request, or, even worse, be confrontational?

It’s easy to view someone else’s situation and cooly reply “they can’t do that to you – it’s illegal.”

While a person with a disability may very well have legal remedies if denied reasonable accommodation, nobody wants it to come to that. Work is stressful enough.

I’ve been in the workforce about a decade and have worked for several bosses.

They had different attitudes and different reactions to my requests for accommodations.

Some of the variation must be chalked up to their personalities, something I couldn’t control. Yet a significant factor was my how I went about making the request, something I could control.

ARTICLE CONTINUES TOMORROW -- MARCH 14
EDITOR'S NOTE: 
This was written by our expert before she came to the Sunshine State. All negative anecdotes and complaints about bosses are based on incidents in Ohio, not Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment