Thursday, March 15, 2012

REQUESTING JOB ACCOMMODATIONS -- PART 4


THE FINE ART OF REQUESTING 
JOB ACCOMMODATIONS


Finally, I decided I had enough.

I spent a few hours on a Saturday morning drafting a memo to my boss listing the accommodations I was requesting, as per the ADA.

I made it as short and to the point as possible, being careful to avoid a confrontational tone yet making it clear I meant business.

At the end of the memo, I respectfully requested that my boss get back with me by a specific date several weeks later.

That would provide sufficient time for him to speak with upper management and come up with a game plan.

So much for the best laid plans.

It would be months until modifications were made to the building: a gentler-sloped ramp at the building entrance, automatic door openers, a lowered elevator button panel.

My suspicions were that these accommodations had less to do with my request and more to do with making the building generally accessible to anyone.

Many more months would pass during which I struggled daily to safely and comfortably use the restroom facilities.

ARTICLE CONTINUES TOMORROW -- MARCH 15

EDITOR'S NOTE: 
This was written by our expert before she came to the Sunshine State. All negative anecdotes and complaints about bosses are based on incidents in Ohio, not Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment