Monday, March 19, 2012

REQUESTING JOB ACCOMMODATIONS -- PART 8


THE FINE ART OF REQUESTING 
JOB ACCOMMODATIONS

Here are some strategies to consider when asking for accommodations on the job:

Be specific. For example, if you have a trackball on your home computer that works great for you, write down the brand and model number and request the same one for your office.

Just before I started the job where things went swimmingly, I had a friend take measurements of me and my wheelchair.

I had exact dimensions down to the quarter inch of such things as my chair’s width and how high my knees were from the floor when sitting in my chair.

These specifics, typed out and delivered to my then employer-to-be proved invaluable in assisting them in finding me the right size desk and computer table.

I also spelled out exactly how high the toilet seat riser in the accessible stall should be.

Getting it down on paper in words and numbers helped diffuse the embarrassment factor surrounding something so personal.


ARTICLE CONTINUES TOMORROW -- MARCH 17

EDITOR'S NOTE: 
This was written by our expert before she came to the Sunshine State. All negative anecdotes and complaints about bosses are based on incidents in Ohio, not Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment