Thursday, July 26, 2018

CAMELS...

...IN CAPPADOCIA
Much as I’d like to think these beautiful beasts are descended from mighty camels that traveled the Silk Road through ancient Anatolia, I fear these humped critters may well be in Cappadocia simply for tourists.

I’m pretty well-traveled. Like to think of myself as savvy and multilingual.

But when I left the very familiar confines of Istanbul for Urgup, Goreme and Avanos, I think I may have discovered camels imported purely to encourage tourists to stop for tented souvenir shops.

In other words, they are not even there so much for rides -- like mules for the Grand Canyon -- but to catch the eye of rubes like me.

I understand about a dozen camels are in Cappadocia, and somehow survive its brutal winters.

The ones I saw were extremely healthy.

My wife loves camels, so I was sure to take some pictures.


Süleyman, a 26-year-old bactrian camel, is the only two humper in the region.


No comments:

Post a Comment