Monday, October 5, 2020

THE POWER OF INCLUSION ON MAIN STREET (Part 2)

MAIN SPOTLIGHT: THE ADA AT 30

The sad thing is most of the charming urban corridors, the main streets, were built long before people thought about a built environment that included wheelchair users, people with other assistive mobility devices as well as folks with visual, hearing, or cognitive impairments.

I wrestle with issues each day. Do I patronize the used book shop, even though the piles of dusty design books block the path of my wife’s wheelchair? 

Do I boycott the coffee house in an old building up a few steps from the sidewalk? 

Do I settle for delivery from the hip, eclectic restaurant because it’s in an old building with a restroom downstairs and no elevator to accommodate my wife? 

There are no quick and easy answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment