Saturday, March 30, 2024

HONORED TO LEAD UNIVERSAL DESIGN DAY IN RICHMOND VIRGINIA

GRATIFIED TO BE PART OF THE EQUITABLE CITIES TEAM

WORKING WITH THE VIRGINIA WALKABILITY ACTION INSTITUTE

 

I was thrilled to combine my passion for access and inclusion with my expertise in creating a better environment for people with disabilities.

I was the featured speaker for Universal Design Day with Virginia Walkability Action Institute (VWAI).

It was hosted by Virginia's Department of Health through its PATHS partnership with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT).

It’s a joy to work with Equitable Cities.

I’ve worked with its founder Charles Brown on his Arrested Mobility podcast and with some writing projects about equity in the public realm.

It was great to work with Virginia point person Valeria Menendez on Equitable Cities, in historic and artistic Richmond.

I led a 3.5 mile walk through Richmond to highlight Universal Design assets and challenges.

Assets included Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) with ramped boarding platforms with outstanding wheelchair access directly into buses that do not require lifts/ramps for smooth, inclusive transit.

Challenges included the pedestrian portion of a bridge over 195 -- a major highway.

There are no curb ramps at the end of this viaduct – on two of the most major streets in the entire region: Broad Street and Monument Avenue.

Cities, counties and regional authorities benefit from my “design for all” expertise.

Please contact me to schedule my combination of walking/rolling pedestrian 3+ mile accessibility tour plus workshop/keynote speech.

One in four people experience some level of disability.

Hundreds of thousands of your constituents and clients need my services.



No comments:

Post a Comment