Saturday, November 8, 2014

EARTHBOUND TOMBOY -- THE BEST DISABILITY ISSUES BLOG EVER

LIFE IS A BULLRING

 

By Heidi Johnson-Wright

 Inspiration and strength sometimes come from unexpected places: the hues of a twilight sky, a silly escapade, a song lyric.

My husband and I were on a trip to Spain when we visited the Andalusian town of Ronda. It’s a lovely spot suspended over a canyon with three iconic bridges. Madonna fans will recall it depicted in gorgeous sepia tones in the “Take a Bow” video.

One afternoon, my husband and I dined at a lovely café, leisurely enjoying lunch and two bottles of Rioja. Next door was the bullring. No corrida de toros that day, but tours were available. We couldn’t resist.

After a pass through the arena’s small museum, we explored the field. Perhaps it was the joy of a pleasant day or the wine or both. I found myself possessed by the spirits of matadors past. I stood up and begin swooping my red jacket like a cape, daring my wheelchair to come at me, its handles like the horns of a bull. My husband began shooting photos as I posed, spurred on by the shouts of an imaginary crowd.

Perhaps it was silly, merely the momentary playfulness of a tipsy woman on vacation. But when we returned home, and I reviewed the pictures, I recalled the lyrics of a song I love. It was “Jean the Birdman,” by English singer-songwriter David Sylvian:

Life is a bullring

For taking risks and flouting rules

Who needs a safety net

The world is open wide

Just look out for card sharks

And the danger signs


I printed out one of my husband’s photos with the lyrics typed below. I posted it on my office wall.


On days when my pain flares or I’m anxious or things are just not going well, I look at the photo.


If only in my mind’s eye, I‘m back in Ronda -- clad in a bullfighter’s spectacular traje de luz – and life seems full of possibilities and adventure.  

http://earthboundtomboy.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment