Thursday, November 27, 2014

THE MOST DREADED DISEASE OF ALL


EARTHBOUND TOMBOY 

BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT


I like my breasts. I truly do.


They’re nothing special -- certainly not Playboy caliber. But they’re mine. And I’d like to keep them healthy.


Which is why I was disturbed the other day when I passed by a pink mobile mammogram RV. It was parked on a public plaza to motivate women to stop by and have breast imaging done.


I’m all for that. Anything that can detect cancer early on is a godsend. But what stuck in my craw were the four steps at the entrance of the RV. I circled the vehicle but saw no ramp.


I guess the message is this: access to medical care doesn’t necessarily include access for folks with disabilities.


In the interest of full disclosure, I’d already had my annual mammogram done at a world-class cancer clinic. But I thought about other women with disabilities in my community who, for whatever reason, may not able to go to a conventional facility for imaging. Shouldn’t they be able to stop in and get services at the mammogram RV, like anyone else?


It got me thinking. I thought back to my mammogram the previous month. Although the machine’s height was adjustable, there was no way I could have contorted myself into position without standing upright. Because even though I use a wheelchair as my primary means of mobility, I can stand and walk a few steps.


What about others – such as women with spinal cord injuries -- who cannot stand up for a few moments to complete the imaging? And why aren’t people designing imaging machines that are accessible to people with disabilities? If such machines exist, why wouldn’t a major cancer clinic with a stellar reputation have one?
http://earthboundtomboy.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-most-dreaded-disease-of-all.html  

No comments:

Post a Comment