Wednesday, May 2, 2018

LA CAMARONERA GOING DOWNHILL FAST?

LITTLE HAVANA SEAFOOD JOINT-FISH MARKET PAST IT'S PRIME, I'M AFRAID



Dear Camaronera,

We have eaten at your place well more than 100 times. Probably more like 200+

We went there when it was a tiny stand up counter, and my wife had great difficulty getting inside while using her wheelchair for mobility.

We patronized your food truck dozens of times.

We rejoiced when you expanded the menu to sweet chili seafood and some other sort of upscale full meals.

We were happy you got some recognition nationally, but feared the number of tourists we saw each weekend might dilute your dedication to locals.

We celebrated your second expansion, which created a great many sit down tables.

We put up with your annoying refusal to take credit cards, even when we went with a group and it was a mad scramble to come up with well more than $200 in cash.

We felt some trepidation that you started serving craft beer, not because we’re anti-alcohol, but we feared the easy revenue from beer and wine would make you less-dedicated to being a true fish joint.

We rejoiced when we saw the mural of the Garcia Brothers on your wall and the timeline it told of hardworking folks that make Miami what it is.

Now, we wonder if the current operators (second generation? Non-family member managers?) are shaming all those Garcia Brothers that look down from the mural.

Because it seems like the current cooks (they are not worthy of being called chefs), managers and perhaps servers (though the wait staff seems more like victims of the decline than perpetrators) are betraying the fine Camaronera name.

We used to visit 3-4 times per month. That often. That’s like family.

We are part of the family, because my wife and I live in a 100-year old house in Little Havana, not a mile from your Flagler shop.

A good month ago, we came in. The place was shockingly empty for straight up noon.

There were more than a half dozen people in uniform, so we figured we’d be served in record time.

My wife ordered the famed Camaronera shrimp sandwich.

I went more upscale and ordered the sweet chili seafood.

Five minutes later, I could see a Camaronera sandwich sitting on the ledge where the servers grab the food.

And I wanted 10 minutes….15…20…25 minutes.

More than 30 minutes past the time we ordered, I gasped when I saw that same pathetic sandwich brought to the table.

I didn’t want to ruin things…maybe there was some sleight of hand that switch out a fresh sandwich for the one that sat there nearly a half hour.

Nope, she took one bite and it was ice cold, among other things that would make it very unsavory.

So my poor wife waits 10 more minutes while I feel awkward. Do I let my plate get cold waiting for hers?  Do I did in and watch her suffer?

I shared some off my platter.

Finally, her sandwich came.  No sorry, no this one will be on the house.  No go to hell and don’t come back.

I confess. I carped, I kvetched, I probably did as much to spoil the experience as the dead shrimp that arrived shamelessly on my wife’s plate on that first delivery.

To me, it was a slap in the face.  Nobody bats 1.000.

But nobody treats a once per week customer like that.

The place was nearly empty. By the time the food was served, there were 8 workers – about one per every customer in the restaurant.

Not one of those people had enough pride in their work to think to have the kitchen re-make a fresh sandwich and time it to be ready when the other delayed order was ready.

And on top of that, no one there had the competency to come over to the best customers on the block – the people who have recommended La Camaronera to hundreds of friends – and tell them this visit was free, or half off.

Common courtesy. The business sense of a 10 year old running a lemonade stand would have motivated the person in charge that day to take care of us.

My wife is more charitable. Pointing out after the insufferable wait, she finally got edible food.

I am in business for myself, so I cannot stand crap service.

Bringing out a sandwich after serving one you never should have is like slapping me in the face….then thinking you made everything alright by dabbing my tears.

We waited nearly a month to give you folks a chance to right the ship.

Today, 20 to 25 minutes to get simple shrimp and fish sandwiches.

The shrimp is called La Camaronera. It’s your signature item. It takes about 5 minutes, 10 max, from order to table.

About 12 minutes after we ordered, the waitress said our food was coming out in a minute.

It turned out to be nearly 15 minutes more.

Added insult to injury.

And if you think a manager on duty offered a dessert, half off the tab, a coupon for a free meal upon return….forget it.

It’s really sad.

We love mom and pop experiences.

We support Little Havana businesses.

We love immigrant stories.

Unfortunately, all those Garcia Brothers looking down from the mural on the wall, well – live ones must be covering their faces with shame and the dead ones rolling over in their graves.

Because the good family name, no doubt built on back breaking work 7 days per week, is being shredded up and shipped out to sea on the inexcusable poor service and unrepentant attitude of the current folks at the helm.




No comments:

Post a Comment