Saturday, May 5, 2018

REST IN PEACE BILL TORREY

A TRUE GENTLEMAN IS IN HOCKEY HEAVEN

From the time I was 10 years old and my dad worked at the Akron Beacon Journal in Ohio, I knew I wanted to be a reporter.  I thought I was going to be a sports reporter, but when I got out of journalism school I gravitated toward covering urban affairs.

While covering that beat for the Columbus Dispatch in the mid- to late-1990s, I got to go on a tour of NHL facilities, because local leaders were bringing at NHL expansion franchise to Ohio’s capital city.

By far the kindest, most accommodating person was Bill Torrey. I knew him well, or I should say I knew about him, from watching the New York Islanders win the Stanley Cup every year of my four years in High School in suburban Northeast Ohio.

Cable TV was a brand new thing in our town and a New York superstation broadcast the Islanders. I became a fan before the winning and got so into hockey, I bought a Strat-O-Matic hockey game to take on the role of Islanders Coach.

Torrey, as GM then President, was the architect of those great teams with Dennis Potvin, Mike Bossy, Bryan Trottier, Billy Smith and Clark Gillies.

My tour of the NHL was to write stories about the impact expansion teams had on their community. Torrey had led the expansion Florida Panthers when people thought NHL teams in warm weather cities was absurd.  Within a few years, his team was in the Stanley Cup final.

Our interview was set up for a game day in Sunrise Florida, where the Panthers played after moving from downtown Miami. This was before the internet and smart phones.
I figured I’d meet some public relations intern and a rookie marketing/sales type and that would be it.  But in the bowels of the new arena, out came the familiar bow tie wearing Torrey.

He offered me food from the spread put out for the media.  I declined. He pecked at a sandwich and indulged my questions – some maybe on the money, perhaps some totally off the wall and out of left field.

Thoughtful, kind, respectful answers were given. All the while, I was praying Dispatch photographer Tim Revell was getting me in at least one of the shots, so I’d have a keepsake of me working in action, interviewing a Hockey Hall of Famer.

I started asking my questions rather rapidly, sure that this legend of the game and very important man in the Florida Panthers franchise would be yanked away from me any moment by some PR official.

Not at all. The kind man told me he had all the time that I needed.  His thoughtful responses made it very easy to tell Columbus – a city too close to Cleveland and Cincinnati to ever have its own pro sports franchise till the NHL came calling – what joy was in store when the Blue Jackets would take the ice in Nationwide Arena.

When I moved to Miami in 2000, I looked up Mr. Torrey.  We stayed in touch and he offered me advice when I was reinventing myself after a 13-year career in newspapers.
His kind, firm, always positive words kept me on focus as a worked in public relations, public service, then marketing. I hadn’t bothered him for a good decade by the time he passed away Wednesday evening at the age of 83.

Bill Torrey was a great man. He was a good man.

He earned enough accolades to fill a room, but he was humble, thoughtful and warm with a youngish reporter more than two decades ago.

Personally, I’m pretty sparse on my vision of the afterlife.

But as I think warm thoughts about the bow-tied architect of the Islanders and Panthers franchises, I know Bill Torrey is in hockey heaven today.


No comments:

Post a Comment