Monday, October 10, 2016

HOTEL NILES ISTANBUL

PERFECT TRANQUIL LOCATION NEAR GRAND BAZAAR AND BEYAZIT TRAM STOP
part 9


A final word on the elephant in the room: the safety factor in Turkey.

I booked my trip to Istanbul days after the Ataturk Airport bombing and the failed coup played out on TV 6 weeks before my arrival.

I had trepidation.

On arrival, I found things to be as safe as a Midwestern main street.

Being out late at night, exploring back alleys and having almost no Turkish language skills didn't matter -- I was in a very safe urban environment.

I went to more than a dozen mosques and received warm welcomes. 
 
Not for a second did I feel ill at ease for being a Westerner. 
 
Quite the opposite, I found hundreds of people who spoke flawless English and hosted me like I was a long lost relative. 
 
And I'm not just talking about carpet shop touts or Grand Bazaar salesmen. 
 
I'm talking about everyday people, who maybe saw my camera and new I was a tourist -- and politely suggested I go over one street to see an ancient synagogue...or I venture two more blocks downhill for a spectacular vista of the Golden Horn that only locals know. 
 
This was the Istanbul Turkey that I found. 
 
The tradition of world class kindness and hosting started at Hotel Niles and carried over through hundreds of locations that I visited.
 
I would recommend staying at the Niles and visiting Istanbul to everyone I know. 
 
http://www.hotelniles.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment