Wednesday, October 12, 2016

PONDERING THE MEANING OF LIFE

FROM HIS WINDOW VIEW OF ANCIENT BALAT, ISTANBUL, TURKEY

I was wandering along the backstreets.

Those backstreets that Orhan Pamuk so loves in his native Istanbul.

The sun was hiding behind the clouds.

I was feeling lonesome on my solo trip.

The Golden Horn was not far away.

I could hear the ferry boats.

But it was too overcast to photograph the beautiful waterway.

I was glad to be in the old city, but far from the tourist throngs around Topkapi, Ayasofya and SultanAhmet Mosque.

I was kind of pondering what it's all about.

I felt so privileged to be in the cultural capital of Europe.

I aimed that camera at yet another faded old apartment building in Balat.

Back home in Miami, I looked at the 8,000 digital images captured in 10 GB of data.

I had no idea there was a person in the window of the building I aimed my Nikon at.

Looks like my kindred spirit in fabled Istanbul may have been taking pause to think about the meaning of life.

Just like me.

For the record, I didn't figure out what the meaning is.

But I learned a lot about people that are supposed to be very different.

But were just like me.

Though perhaps nicer and more hospitable than the typical rushed member of the western world.

No comments:

Post a Comment