Friday, February 10, 2012

THE RECOVERY -- PART 10


ESSAY BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT


By my second full day, I walked about 30 feet. 

By discharge day, I could walk 130 feet at a stretch.

I was sent home with a customized platform walker, PT orders and prescriptions. 

My husband took me out for Chinese food on the ride home to celebrate.

For the next couple weeks, I worked like a dog each day on exercises.

My hope was to return to work in five or six weeks.

All was going well until about a month after the surgery, when excruciating muscle spasms and nerve pain came out of the blue.

I had suffered with musculoskeletal pain for 30 years, but nothing could have prepared me for this load of bricks.

My surgeon confirmed that the bones were healing very well, but the pain was likely the result of his lengthening my leg about a half inch. 

The muscles and nerves were being required to serve a longer leg, and were temporarily rebelling.

He gave me muscle relaxants and a nerve med.

I was much better in a couple weeks, and eased back into a full-time work schedule.  

SAY CONTINUES TOMORROW -- FEBRUARY 11

No comments:

Post a Comment