Saturday, February 11, 2012

THE RECOVERY -- PART 11



ESSAY BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT


My leg was still very weak, but I knew this would improve. 

At last, it seemed that my life was on the road back to normal.

Then Thanksgiving came, and it was as if a trap door had opened and I fell straight into hell.

The next four months were a blurry nightmare of unrelenting pain. 

Some days it felt like battery acid on the back of my thigh, or I was being Tasered in the groin.

Other days a sickening achy, pulling sensation took center stage.

What never varied was the intense pain every time I stood or attempted to walk. 

Prolonged sitting brought on more pain.

I was only comfortable lying flat on my back with my legs elevated on a pillow.

My life was reduced to a miserable slog of trying to get through each day.

I constantly strategized so I could minimize any amount of weight bearing.

Months before at the rehab center, I could walk over 100 feet at a time.

Now I could barely manage 10 feet. 

RECOVERY ESSAY CONTINUES TOMORROW -- FEBRUARY 12 

No comments:

Post a Comment