Wednesday, February 1, 2012

THE RECOVERY -- PART 1


ESSAY BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT


At age nine, I was diagnosed with severe rheumatoid arthritis.

It raged out of control for years.

Nearly every Christmas break, summer vacation and lengthy stretches during the school year meant ghastly orthopedic surgeries.

Surgeons would saw entire joints out of my body, then hammer in pieces of metal attached with screws. 

In between surgeries and the prolonged recoveries, I made the best of the life I had with all its limitations and chronic pain.

And yet I had friends and loved learning foreign languages and dreamed about traveling to exotic places someday.

I was 15 when I spent the month of June 1980 in the hospital, having both of my hips replaced, then the remainder of the summer recouping. 

Nothing could have prepared me for the breadth and depth of it, nor for the depression and anxiety I suffered, but kept hidden from my family and friends. 

RECOVERY ESSAY CONTINUES TOMORROW -- FEBRUARY 2

No comments:

Post a Comment