Sunday, February 5, 2012

THE RECOVERY -- PART 5



ESSAY BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT


After a few X-rays, Dr. T announced the verdict: the left hip prosthesis was pushing outwards from my femur to the point where it would inevitably fracture the bone. 

Maybe not today or tomorrow or next week, but it would most certainly happen.

And if it did, it would make a hip revision much harder to do. In short, if I didn’t have the surgery soon, I would be in a much bigger world of hurt than I had ever bargained for.

Six weeks later I found myself sitting on the edge of an operating table, dopey and propped against the shoulder of an O.R. nurse, while someone from the anesthesia team attempted to insert a needle through the calcified ligaments of my lower lumbar region.

 RECOVERY ESSAY CONTINUES TOMORROW -- FEBRUARY 6

No comments:

Post a Comment