Friday, February 3, 2012

THE RECOVERY -- PART 3



ESSAY BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT


What I kept pushing out of my consciousness was the reality that the hips weren’t going to last forever. 

Because even though I use a wheelchair most of the time and only walk short distances, the man-made appliances that had been driven with surgical power tools into the shafts of my femurs before I was old enough to drive were not made to last forever.

I made an appointment with my orthopod, Dr. J., and hoped upon hope it would proceed as usual. 

Which is to say, twice a year I would go to his office, and have X-rays taken of my hips.

He would say the same thing each time: that the prostheses had, over time, moved a bit out of their original positions – not uncommon for these types of old style implants. 

Yet as long as I was functioning without pain, I could go along my merry way and return in six months.      

RECOVERY ESSAY CONTINUES TOMORROW -- FEBRUARY 4


No comments:

Post a Comment