Monday, February 13, 2012

THE RECOVERY -- PART 13


ESSAY BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT


I was referred to Dr. P, an anesthesiologist, in yet another attempt to find a solution.

A pleasant, unassuming man, he made no guarantees but promised to do his very best to help. 

In a three week period, I went to him twice.

Both times, I lie prone in an out-patient O.R. suite, while Dr. P. and his team looked into my pelvis and groin with a fluoroscope.

Using a nerve stimulator, he located the place to inject me. 

The whole process took less than 30 minutes and hurt less than a flu shot.

Within two weeks of the second injection, I returned to swimming twice a week.

I was able to increase my walking to multiple 100 feet treks each day. 

And the worst of the blasted pain was gone.

It’s been nearly 18 months since my surgery.

I have very nearly reached my goal to return to the same level of activity I was capable of prior to getting a new hip and femur.

Make no mistake: my sciatic nerve still occasionally lets me know that it can be a very nasty SOB.

But I have gotten my life back. 

And there are still so many bullrings to explore.     

Heidi Johnson-Wright is an attorney and ADA professional. She lives with her husband in the Little Havana neighborhood of Miami, FL.

No comments:

Post a Comment