Thursday, February 2, 2012

THE RECOVERY -- PART 2


ESSAY BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT


Fast forward 30 years: I am now 45 years old, an attorney, a disability compliance professional and a wife of 22 years.

My metal and plastic hips have served me well.

They have seen me through college, law school, and two decades of employment as a public servant. 

They were with me when I walked down the aisle on my wedding day, when I first rode in an all-terrain wheelchair down the sands of South Beach, when I ascended into the air on the London Eye, when I ventured across the floor of Monument Valley, and when I explored the Court of the Lions at the Alhambra.

But in spring 2010, I noticed a problem that just wouldn’t go away: when I would lie on my right side in bed, I felt a troubling ache in my left groin.

I tried every trick I knew: heat, ice, rest, stretching. 

You name it, I tried it. 

And all the while I prayed it was a temporary soft tissue thing and not a permanent joint problem.

RECOVERY ESSAY CONTINUES TOMORROW -- FEBRUARY 3

No comments:

Post a Comment