Thursday, February 9, 2012

THE RECOVERY -- PART 9


 ESSAY BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT


That first evening in my private (!) room was heavenly. 

I took my first shower in eight days. I used a toilet instead of a bedpan.

I sat up in a chair while I ate a decent meal. I lay down on soft, clean sheets and watched Animal Planet.

I worked harder than I ever had over the next week. 

My day was rigidly scheduled from 6:30 am until 5 pm every day but Sunday.

I quickly learned that treatment protocols for joint replacements had changed considerably over 30 years.

As a teenager, I had to lie flat on my back for an hour after each hour I sat up because of concerns about swelling at the surgical site. 

For the first month after surgery, it was one hour up, then one hour down, over and over again. 

But now, the rehab staff had me sitting up all day long, regardless of how much my leg ballooned up by day’s end. 

One thing that hadn’t changed: I could sleep only on my back for six weeks, a miserable situation for a side sleeper. 


RECOVERY ESSAY CONTINUES TOMORROW -- FEBRUARY 10

No comments:

Post a Comment