Wednesday, February 8, 2012

THE RECOVERY -- PART 8


ESSAY BY HEIDI JOHNSON-WRIGHT

I was expected to start weight bearing just a couple days after surgery. 

The hospital’s PT staff was unable to bring me the type of walker I needed to attempt to stand, despite my daily entreaties. 

Three days after surgery, a PT somehow persuaded me to walk a couple steps with nothing to take the weight off my legs but holding his hand. I’m not a bragger, but I guarantee even Dick Butkus would have wept like a baby from the amount of pain it brought me.

I knew it was hospital discharge day because that’s when the maintenance staff fixed the A/C in my room. 

The rehab facility had everything the hospital did not: highly skilled PTs, OTs, and nurses who knew how to care for hip patients, quality cable TV and functioning A/C with a thermostat I could control! 

RECOVERY ESSAY CONTINUES TOMORROW -- FEBRUARY 9

No comments:

Post a Comment